Germany more attractive than ever – Indian student numbers touch a record high
Indian student numbers in Germany continue to be on the rise. The number of Indian students in Germany has almost doubled in the last five years.
The German Ambassador to India, Dr Martin Ney, welcomed this development: "The fact that more and more Indians are deciding to study in Germany is a sign of confidence in our universities. This positive trend also shows that Indo-German relations are flourishing."
Heike Mock, Director Regional Office New Delhi, DAAD – German Academic Exchange Service underlined: “It is heartening to see that the Indian student fraternity continues to see Germany as their trusted destination for higher education par excellence year on year.”
The latest figures released by the Federal Statistical Office of Germany reveal the following:
- The number of Indian students in Germany has grown by 13.14% over the last year and stands at 17,570 (Winter Semester 2017-18).
- The total number of international students in Germany has grown by 4.4%. The rate of growth in the number of Indian students going to Germany is thrice that of the global average.
- Indians form the 2nd largest group of international students enrolled at German universities (Bildungsausländer).
- Subject fields: Engineering: 70%, Mathematics and Natural Sciences: 12%, Law and Social Studies: 13%, Other: 5%
- Enrolment according to the type of HEI: Universities: 67%, Fachhochschulen (Universities of Applied Science): 33%
- M/F Ratio: Male: 74%, Female: 26%
The joint press release from the German Embassy New Delhi and DAAD - German Academic Exchange Service can be downloaded here
Data source: Bildung und Kultur: Studierende an Hochschulen, Statistisches Bundesamt.
- General (109)
Internship Opportunity at the DWIH New Delhi
Interested in the German and Indian Research Landscape and skilled in social media?
The DWIH New Delhi is looking for an intern to support it’s activities in 2021.
Joining date: 15 Jan 21
Application deadline: 29 Nov 20
Announcement and further information
DAAD News Updates
Stay up to date on DAAD's activities in India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal and Sri Lanka - from news about scholarship programs to opportunities for study and research in Germany.
Indian Students in Germany